Trismegistos ID:

Source Description


Cyrene Museum, 609.


White marble stele, slightly tapering, with plain moulded cornice on top, of which the right angle is broken off (with moulding 0.29 to 0.30; 0.92;0.28).


Inscription begins at 0.10 m below moulding (0.265 to 0.30; 0.86;0.26 to 0.29).



Place of Origin

Cyrene , probably North Necropolis .


Between 325 and 275 B.C. (lettering)


Found by H.F. De Cou (Mission Norton) in 1911 at Cyrene : from the house of Turkish Mudir, in the North Necropolis , perhaps from tomb N241 (Thorn).

Last recorded Location

Seen by C. Dobias-Lalou in 1997 in Shahat : Cyrene Museum .

Text constituted from

Transcription from stone (CDL).


Robinson, 1913 , pp. 171-172, n. 36; Oliverio, 1933-1936 , p. 112, n. 89, fig. 45, whence SEG , 9.201. Cf. Sammelbuch 5884; DGE 231,4; Applebaum, 1954 , pp. 41-54, whence SEG , 17.812; Lüderitz-Reynolds, 1983 , n. 15, whence SEG , 33.1369; Thorn-Thorn, 2009 , p. 92.


Θεύδωρος [Ἰ]άσονος.


French translation

Theudôros fils de Iasôn.

English translation

Theudoros son of Iason.

Italian translation

Theudoros figlio di Iason.


As the stele was seen by De Cou in 'the house of the Mudir', it might come from the vicinity. The Thorns thus proposed to assign it to Tomb N241.

Applebaum considers this man a Jew, whereas Lüderitz is much more cautious about the question. It should at least be remembered that both names belong to stems that were very popular in Cyrenaean onomastics well before the arrival of Jews in the region. The question should thus remain open.

Creative Commons Attributions-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.

All citation, reuse or distribution of this work must contain a link back to DOI: http://doi.org/10.6092/UNIBO/IGCYRGVCYR and the filename (IGCyr000000 or GVCyr000), as well as the year of consultation.