Two massive limestone ashlars and one fragmentary block, each of which bore the same inscription (1.9; 0.375; -, height estimated from scale of photograph of one block).
Inscribed on one side.
0.175 (estimated from scale of photograph of one block); lambda slightly shorter at right.
Place of Origin
Second half of fifth or fourth century B.C. (lettering)
Found in 1995 or 1996 at Euesperides pleiades; HGL : to the North of the city wall in the ditch crossing areas H-N of the excavations, opposite the tombs bearing IGCyr084100 .
Not seen by IGCyr team.
Text constituted from
Transcription from previous editors.
Buzaian-Lloyd, 1996 Buzaian, A.M., Lloyd, J.A., 1996, Early Urbanism in Cyrenaica: New Evidence from Euesperides (Benghazi), Libyan Studies (LibStud)27, 129-152 - see in bibliography , p. 138 (ph.), whence SEG Supplementum Epigraphicum Graecum, Leiden, then Amsterdam, 1923-1971, then 1979- - see in bibliography , 46.2190.
Buzaian and Lloyd wrote that there were three such blocks bearing the same inscription and give the length of only one with one photograph.
They 'provisionally' but convincingly interpret them as blocks fallen from a wall serving for the fortification of the city of Euesperides on its North-West side.
As no personal name beginning with Πλι- is attested, the editors' idea of a mason's mark seems very convincing.
Creative Commons Attributions-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
All citation, reuse or distribution of this work must contain a link back to DOI: http://doi.org/10.6092/UNIBO/IGCYRGVCYR and the filename (IGCyr000000 or GVCyr000), as well as the year of consultation.