Trismegistos ID: 738500

Source Description


Plain rectangular base of tufa, broken off on all sides except at left and back, with two holes for attachment of a satue on top (0.915; 0.46;0.67).


Inscribed near upper edge of front face, which is much broken (0.595; 0.41;).


0.04; slight serifs, slanting sigma.

Place of Origin



Perhaps second half of fourth or first half of third century B.C. (lettering)


Found by G. Oliverio in 1928 at Cyrene : agora.

Last recorded Location

Seen by C. Dobias-Lalou in 2004 at Cyrene : agora, in front of the West Stoa .

Text constituted from

Transcription from stone (CDL).


Oliverio, Taccuini inediti , XIV.9, whence SECir , 130 (no image).


[c. 4] ν Τ̣[c. 11]  ἱαριτεύσας ἀ̣[νέθηκε].


1 [c. 4] ν Τ̣[c. 11]  : SECir  [...] ΝΤ̣Ω̣[---] 

2 ἱαριτεύσας ἀ̣[νέθηκε] : SECir  ἱαριτεύσας [---] 

French translation

 [---] n fils de T [---]  (a consacré ce monument) après sa prêtrise.

English translation

 [---] n son of T [---]  (dedicated this monument) after having been priest.

Italian translation

 [---] n figlio di T [---]  (ha dedicato questo monumento) dopo il suo sacerdozio.


Pugliese Carratelli at SECir , published the inscription, which he did not find, from a drawing (not given) in Oliverio's papers. From the number of Oliverio's notebook we infer the date of 1928 for the find, which should have been fortuitous, as systematic excavations on the Agora began only in 1929. Although the findspot was not mentioned in SECir, it is obvious that the stone was not moved from the area where it lies nowadays with the usual appearance of stones left outside for a long time.

Creative Commons Attributions-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.

All citation, reuse or distribution of this work must contain a link back to DOI: and the filename (IGCyr000000 or GVCyr000), as well as the year of consultation.