Cyrene Museum, 250 (fragm. a+b); 513 (fragm. c); 166 (fragm. d).
Dark grey marble block, broken away below, reconstituted from four adjacent fragments (a and b pasted together); the back is cut obliquely, perhaps for its original use (all together 0.49; 0.195;0.09 at top, 0.17 below).
Inscribed on the face.
0.035; carefully cut, with very slight serifs; calice-shaped upsilon, slanting sigma.
Place of Origin
First half of third century B.C. (lettering)
Fragment c was found during Oliverio's excavations in 1928 at Cyrene pleiades; HGL : Sanctuary of Apollo, in a small building to the North of the Temple of Artemis ; the other fragments are of unknown provenance.
Last recorded Location
Text constituted from
Transcription from stone (CDL).
Fragment d: Oliverio, 1930 Oliverio, G., 1930, Campagna di scavi a Cirene nell’estate del 1928, Africa Italiana3, 141-229 - see in bibliography , p. 205, n. 27, fig. 62, whence SEG Supplementum Epigraphicum Graecum, Leiden, then Amsterdam, 1923-1971, then 1979- - see in bibliography , 9.323; the other fragments were not previously published.
Oliverio, G., 1930, Campagna di scavi a Cirene nell’estate del 1928, Africa Italiana3, 141-229 - see in bibliography
2 Oliverio, 1930 Oliverio, G., 1930, Campagna di scavi a Cirene nell’estate del 1928, Africa Italiana3, 141-229 - see in bibliography [---] νευς
Mnasarkhos fils de Kartisthenès [a consacré?] à Apollon.
Mnasarchos son of Kartisthenes [dedicated?] to Apollo.
Mnasarchos figlio di Kartisthenes [ha dedicato?] ad Apollo.
Creative Commons Attributions-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
All citation, reuse or distribution of this work must contain a link back to DOI: http://doi.org/10.6092/UNIBO/IGCYRGVCYR and the filename (IGCyr000000 or GVCyr000), as well as the year of consultation.