Trismegistos ID: 738356

Source Description


Cyrene Museum, inv. number unknown.


White marble base, broken in two adjacent fragments, one of which is now lost (0.68; 0.23;0.465; left fragment alone: width 0.40).


Inscribed on the face (inscribed panel, left fragment: width 0.35; height 0.42) with the beginning of lines on the same vertical axis.



Place of Origin

Cyrene .


Second half of the fourth century B.C. (lettering)


Found in 1929 probably in the Port of Cyrene, later Apollonia .

Later recorded Location

Still complete in 1954 when seen by Fr. Chamoux in Shahat : in front of the ancient Sculpture Museum .

Later recorded Location

Still complete in 1961 when seen by L. Beschi in Shahat : in front of the ancient Sculpture Museum .

Last recorded Location

Left part only seen by C. Dobias-Lalou in 2010 in Shahat : inside the new Cyrene Museum .

Text constituted from

Transcription from previous editors and stone (CDL).


Beschi, 1970 , pp. 197 (with fig. 51), 204 (date of the base); Reynolds, 1976 , p. 322, n. 66, whence SEG , 27.1150. Cf. Chamoux, 1953 , pl. XIII, 1 (photograph).


Φυλυσία Βαθυκλεῦς


French translation

Phylysia fille de Bathyklès.

English translation

Phylysia daughter of Bathykles.

Italian translation

Phylysia figlia di Bathykles.

The base was before World War II in Apollonia Museum (Susah) and came to Shahat only later. So it was presumably from a tomb in the Port of Cyrene. Upon it stood a mourning half-figure (n. 21 of Beschi's catalogue)

According to Masson, 1976 , p. 62, Φυλυσια should be a Libyan name. But the argument is not very strong and it is possible to propose a Greek origin (see Dobias-Lalou, 2017 , p. 486).

Creative Commons Attributions-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.

All citation, reuse or distribution of this work must contain a link back to DOI: http://doi.org/10.6092/UNIBO/IGCYRGVCYR and the filename (IGCyr000000 or GVCyr000), as well as the year of consultation.