Trismegistos ID: 738357

Source Description


Benghazi Museum, inv. number unknown.


White marble rectangular base, badly chipped off on the first line of inscription and below (1.01; 0.21;0.89).


Inscribed on the face; both lines begin near the left margin.


0.025; no serifs, sigma with slanting strokes, omicron slightly smaller than omega, dissymmetrical pi.

Place of Origin

Euesperides .


Second half of fourth or first half of third century B.C. (lettering)


Found in 1974 at Berenike : reused in Byzantine times under the Church .

Last recorded Location

Seen by Fr. Chamoux and A. Laronde in 1977.

Present Location

Not seen by IGCyr team.

Text constituted from

Transcription from previous editors (CDL).


Reynolds, 1978 , p. 233, n. 1 (ph.), whence SEG , 28.1541; Laronde, 1987 , p. 394 (as unpublished), whence SEG , 38.1870.


Εὐγ̣έν̣η̣ς [Ἀρίμμα?]ντος δεκάταν τῶι Ἀπόλλωνι (vac. 6)


1 Reynolds, 1978  Εὐγένης [c. 6] ντος : Laronde, 1987  Εὔξενος Μ [c. 8 - 10]ντος

French translation

Eug̣ẹṇẹ̀ṣ fils d'[Arimmas?] (a consacré) la dîme à Apollon.

English translation

Eug̣ẹṇẹṣ son of [Arimmas?] (dedicated) the tithe to Apollo.

Italian translation

Eug̣ẹṇẹṣ figlio di [Arimmas?] (ha dedicato) la decima ad Apollo.


The letters missing at l. 1 have been erased when the stone was re-used. For the father's name, to judge from the photograph, we agree with Reynolds for a loss of 6 letters, so that Ἀρίμμας seems a good restoration. As to the first name, it is not easy to decide between the two different readings proposed. We only may suspect that Reynolds could spend more time to study the inscription than Laronde and Chamoux on their brief visit in 1976.

Reynolds dated the lettering to «perhaps third to second century B.C.»; however the photograph shows letters belonging to the «buona epoca» so often mentioned by Oliverio for the period across fourth and third century. Be the date Laronde's «fourth century» or somewhat later, the stone is probably earlier than the foundation of Berenike. It was found near the few vestiges of its first city-walls. So we may suspect that the stone was brought from Euesperides, re-used a first time in the city-defences of Berenike and later again in the Byzantine Church.

Creative Commons Attributions-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.

All citation, reuse or distribution of this work must contain a link back to DOI: http://doi.org/10.6092/UNIBO/IGCYRGVCYR and the filename (IGCyr000000 or GVCyr000), as well as the year of consultation.