Dedication of a door


Trismegistos ID: 738480

Source Description


Fragment of a limestone block broken on all sides except perhaps on top, with front face badly chipped off (0.17; 0.20;0.39).


Inscribed on front face near the upper edge.


0.042; finely cut, rather large omicron, no hint of serifs.

Place of Origin

Cyrene : Sanctuary of Apollo .


Probably fourth century B.C. (lettering)


Found in 1926 by G. Oliverio at Cyrene : near the Fountain of Philothales, in the shrine of Apollo Kitharoidos, which took the place of this Fountain in the Roman period.

Present Location

Seems to be lost since 1960 at the latest.

Text constituted from

Transcription from previous editor.


Oliverio, Taccuini inediti , XI.29, whence SECir , 74 (fig. 64).


[---]  [τὰ]ν ὀπά[ν ---] 


French translation

(Un tel a consacré)la porte.

English translation

(So-and-so dedicated) the door.

Italian translation

(Il tale ha dedicato) la porta.


This stone is known only from Oliverio's photograph and transcription. We deduce the date of find from the number of Oliverio's notebook.

Pugliese Carratelli in SECir , 74 supposed that it might be the same stone as IGCyr020700, which is a marble epistylium, much larger than this fragment.

There are different dedications of monumental doors (ὀπά) in the sanctuary of Apollo, offered by one or several individuals (see Dobias-Lalou, 2015 , p. 34).

Creative Commons Attributions-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.

All citation, reuse or distribution of this work must contain a link back to DOI: and the filename (IGCyr000000 or GVCyr000), as well as the year of consultation.